My Poor work area just keeps getting larger.... and larger.... and larger. I am totally guilty of starting a project- getting it almost done... and then I think of something else to do- and off I go. I have several paper plates* sitting here full of birdhouses.... and yet- I had to make some cupcakes. lol!
*When I work, I keep the items I'm using for each project on a paper plate- or bowl- or whatever else is handy. Right now I'm up to 5 plates of Almost finished items. Terrible! I know. But bear with me:)
I do love making miniature food, I'm just not very good at it. (At least in my mind) ...Nor do I have the patience to do it every day to get better. But I do like playing around:)
....So the other day while I was in the Dollar store- I found a pack of electrical caps with 5 different sizes in it, And thought- Perfect! I can make big cupcakes- regular cupcakes... and mini cupcakes/muffins. So...the process of getting sidetracked began, lol. I made my molds.. and spent an evening pushing out cupcakes. I like mine fat on top:) I bake like that, too... I fill up my cups with as much batter as I can get in them:)
I have made mini cupcakes before- You can find out more about that and the DIY 'molds' here.
After they were textured, they were chalked and then baked. Then comes the part where I'm still playing. The decorating:) I want piping... and for the longest time I've been trying to find a 'medium' that would work well for this. I had some nail fruit slices put away- so I used those on top. On the single cupcakes I used puffy paint for t-shirts.....and on the plate with the "Strawberry Lemonade and Blueberry Limeade" cupcakes I used joint compound that I tinted with acrylic paint. Both work OK.... But it's not really what I'm after. I have used liquid sculpy before, but I wanted to try something different this time. It is always fun to just play:) ...oh- and the plain 'muffins' on the table have poppy seeds in them- but I went a little overboard with the chalk and you can't see that, lol. I even tried to make cupcake wrappers- not too bad, but I'm thinking a thinner solid color paper might work better next time.
I did, however, manage to get the little birdhouses done- well.... that's not true. They still need a coat of sealer. But they all have roofs now:) I think the Tinker Bell ones are my favorite.
....ohhh.....and look at what I found:) Harry Potter Crest nail stickers. These will be sold as a set... and I have a few extra single ones as well. I thought these were too cool!!!
Let's see..... I found a new stamp set:) I think the font works perfectly for the Bakery signs!
And while watching the movie Julie and Julia the other day.... I came up with a few more signs:)
I think that's about it. Now that the kiddos are back in school- I'm having a lot more free time to get lost in my work. If I could only stay focused....... LOL
...ok....here's a link to some of the other cakes I made- way back in 2008, lol. Some aren't too bad. And please excuse the little doll- she makes every thing look really big.
Until Next Time:)