Friday, February 13, 2009

Roch Castle

Sorry, the last blog got a little long, so I thought I'd write 2 blogs today! Aren't you luckly!!!

Ok, so I'm still in my painting phase of life, but have moved on to something a little more difficult! Ready for another story?? LOL......

When I was a little girl, I lived in Haverfordwest, Wales. During recess, we'd play in the field behind school......And behind the field sat Roch Castle! I loved looking at that castle everyday, rumor had it it was haunted and that there was something walking around up there?! Then, a few years ago, I came across a book called, "Haunted Castles of Britain and Ireland. And Yup....there it was! Roch Castle and it's story. Seems a man was told by a witch that he would be bitten by a snake in a year and die. So Rupe (that was his name) built a castle and moved in to the top, so no snakes could hurt him. Then exactly one year later, it happened! Rupe went outside to get some firewood and after he put it in the fireplace and lit it, a snake jumped out of one of the logs and bit the man! Crazy, huh!! I was shocked to see that the rumors were true. What a horrible way to die!

Well............I thought I'd give the castle a shot.

I'm using a blocking technique to do this. I marked out 1 inch squares onto a clear sheet protector thing, and used painter's tape to hold in down. Then I drew out a 2x3 inch box onto sketch paper, and divided the 'box' into smaller squares. Am I making sense here?? LOL....Hopefully you get it. So, I finished the sketch................and now I have to transfer it to thicker paper so I can begin painting it. It looks like fun?!?! Haha, it's hard painting in miniature, feel like I need a big magnifying glass or something. OK, well I'm off to play catch with the Otis, I gotta make him sleepy before I try to pull the paints out, Or he'll insist on helping!

TTLY

:)

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I'll have to take a visit to Roch Castle one day Katie..

Katie said...

When you do, make sure you take plenty of pictures! I've never been in the castle, I just got to look at it everyday from the school yard. One day, I'll be back.....one day!!