Friday, February 20, 2009

Strawberry Tarts???

At least that's what I think they look like.....some kind of tart with a scoop of ice cream and a big strawberry on top.......
...........and of course you know that you can't ever just make one!!! I tell you, though, after the third strawberry or so, I was ready to be done! I had read Casey's blog a couple weeks back about making cupcakes and kinda went from there. I won't go into detail, she did a much better job explaining the how to's, look for it under her food label. I didn't have any of the molding stuff, so I used some scrap clay for the mold. Once I made the mold, I baked it, then began sticking pieces of clay into the little holes, and desperately tried to pluck them out. Of course I don't have a lick of cornstarch, talc powder, or any other similar substance on hand, so I ended up using a LOT of water instead. Still was tricky to get them out of the holes, but I managed. I suggest investing in some of that molding stuff!!!
So....Thanks to Casey (http://caseymini.blogspot.com/) for suggesting we use electrical caps as cupcake molds, Thanks to Debbie (http://debbiestinytreasures.blogspot.com/) for reminding me I wanted to try and make a mold (she made truffles!), and Thanks to Jody (http://www.minileapsandbounds.blogspot.com/) for reminding us that strawberries are meant to be big!! Not to shabby for my first go, huh ladies?!

6 comments:

Brenda said...

The texture on the strawberries is great! They look very edible - the first sign of sucess!

The mold stuff - Amazing Mold Putty is very easy and works very well and goes a long way with minis. I highly recommend it. If you live near a Hobby Lobby or Michael's, you can get a 1-lb. pack for $20 (or less with an internet coupon).

Debbie said...

They look wonderful Katie.

Caseymini said...

Yummy! Katie, those tarts look good enough to eat!

Do invest in the Sculpey Moldmaker. It makes the task so much easier all around as they are flexable after baking. The cupcakes etc, just pop right out.

Good Job on the tarts!

Brenda said...

Amazing Mold Putty is a food quality silicone and is much more flexible and easier to use than Sculpey Moldmaker. You can even bake the clay inside the mold, over and over and it stays flexible. Everyone who makes minis should try it. It's the same stuff Angie Scarr sells, only hers is green and Amazing is yellow.

Anonymous said...

What wonderful looking tarts. Would like to eat one of those, if only they would taste like they look! ;-)

I have just been thinking of making
some cupcake beads to celebrate my upcoming 1 year anniversary on my blog. This idea is brilliant! What a time saver to make to molds using pen lids!!

Good to know about the ability to bake in the Amazing Mold Putty. Will have to look for some of that!

What a fabulous resource your post today has been! Thank you!

Unknown said...

They are adorable!
Honestly they made my mouth water.
Thanks for sharing the links!