Thursday, April 7, 2011

One thing leads to another...

Just got done listing a few Sea Shells Shadow Boxes on Etsy... say that 3 times fast... And thought I'd share a few pics:) This one's my favorite. I normally gravitate towards the pinks, but I really like the dark shells in this one!!

It all started last night... I decided to glue together some beads so I can make myself some containers..... I need some small ones for Marshmallow Manor- and just made some extras.
Then this morning... After I let the glue Dry- I say that with improtance because I normally don't wait for that, and then things are fallen apart on me. So... Everything got a coat of white..... And while I ahd the white paint out, I went ahead and dry-brushed the Shadow Boxes...

Then I decided to make that one more project to check of my todo List! And... Ta-da!

Aren't they pretty! Don't forget to click on them so you can see the details in the shells, too!

This time, I went with the light colors in the light boxes, and the dark in the dark.... I think they turned out really good!!

So, Now that I'm done working today.... I can go get pictures of my surprise gifts that arrived yesterday!!

Until Next Time......

4 comments:

Ana Anselmo said...

I love the dark one, and the dark shells are so beautiful, some are really amazing.
I hope you are ok :)
Love
Ana

Lataina said...

I love these little shadow boxes! I have to agree that the darker ones turned out looking fabulous! =)

Surprise gifts!?.....How exciting!!! =D

Norma Bennett said...

Katie re your comment on my blog about getting paint to come off a piece I'm happy to share a trick I discovered when working on the weathered bench that the angel is sitting on in the Brocante. Give the piece a coat of gesso, allow to dry, paint on a thick coat of crackle medium, again allow to dry - thoroughly, perhaps overnight. Paint on your top coat. Let it get surface dry but don't leave it overnight. Wet a soft sponge with a dirty wash (mostly water mixed with a little black paint). Wipe over the top coat with it, some of the last coat of paint will come off, some will just flake. Don't get too vigorous or you'll wipe it all off! Let it dry thoroughly. Go over it all again with another dirty wash using a soft brush, let it dry. Sand edges or any place you want to take it back to bare wood. I also think (but haven't yet tried) that you could take a good bit of the first coat (the gesso) off to by just wiping it when it's almost dry to go back to bare wood in some places, then put on the crackle medium and do the last coat as described above. Alternatively if you just want bare wood and an almost removed single colour (like those old worn French cupboards in my last post) I guess you could put the crackle medium on the bare wood then proceed as above for the final coat which is almost all removed when it's nearly dry. Does all that make sense? I'm going to try that anyway. The only problem is that I've already painted the cupboard I want to try it on so I'll probably have to substitute a light brown paint for the bare wood.

Sans! said...

I like the blue one too :). I am making some shelves for my kitchen as well. Kept putting it off though ...maybe this weekend.